Inspired by Simply Recipes, and fine-tuned over the years, these are the only cranberries I’ll ever make again. I’m asked to make them every year at every holiday, and there are never leftover. This recipe easily doubles, and I can’t remember the last time we didn’t double it.
The Only Cranberry (sauce)
Makes 2 ½ cups
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 large strips orange zest (avoid pith)
- 1 tbsp minced, fresh ginger
- 2 cups Pinot Noir
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped crystalized ginger
- ½ tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- Heat the coconut oil in a large sauté pan of medium heat.
- Add the cranberries, orange peel and fresh ginger.
- Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring frequently until most of the cranberries have burst.
- Add the Pinot Noir and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for ~15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce coats a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Remove orange peel.
- Stir in ginger and Chinese 5-spice powder.
- Serve warm or cold.