This was by far the favorite of the night. The blend of cheeses & cream were absorbed by the potatoes making for one of the least healthy and most delicious dishes we’ve ever eaten. There were no leftovers.
Prudent Potatoes Au Gratin
(based on the recipe from Sweet Revenge, by Diane Mott Davidson)
- ½ tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large Yellow Onion, sliced
- 4 lbs Russet Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ lb Gruyere, grated
- ½ lb Comte cheese, grated
- ½ c Parmeasan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp fresh Sage, chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 c Heavy Cream
- Melt butter & oil over med heat. Add the onions. Cook until limp and caramelized, 15-20 min. Cool slightly.
- Preheat 375.
- In a large bowl, toss grated cheeses.
- Layer potatoes in a 9 x 13 glass pan. Add a layer of onions. Then add a layer of cheese. Top with sage. Repeat this process until the pan is completely full, ending with cheese
- Stir salt & pepper into heavy cream, then pour over the potatoes. Don’t disturb the cheese
- Bake 1 hour until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown